World Environment Day will be celebrated on Sunday 5th June 2022! Just like in previous years, World Environment Day will be celebrated by millions of people across the world through online and in-person events!
Climate change alongside pollution, waste and a decrease in biodiversity are all threats to the environment. Hence the United Nations Environment Programme launched World Environment Day, during the Stockholm Conference in 1972, to ensure that everyone across the globe knows about the harm that is happening to our environment.
This day is to encourage people to take action to learn about the environment whilst protecting it. The theme for this year is #OnlyOneEarth which calls for collective and transformative action on a global scale to help our planet!
Each year, World Environment Day is hosted by a different country and this year in 2022, it will be hosted in Sweden. All the official World Environment Day events will be hosted by Sweden.
So, how can you help the environment starting today?
1. Plant a tree! You’re probably thinking you don’t have time however have you ever heard of the app Forest? This app allows you to plant trees whilst you study and once you have studied for a certain period, you will earn coins. With these coins, you can buy a real tree which will be planted!
2. Bike more and walk around! Walking is one of the best forms of exercise out there. It is free and it can help you build your stamina and help you burn excess calories!
3. Volunteer! Volunteer for the clean-ups in your community and help make a difference.
4. Educate yourself on the issues surrounding the environment. When you learn more, you can help teach others around you!
5. Last but certainly not least, come to the RefashionMyTown shop in Chippenham! We have a community of co-creators and collaborators for a more sustainable future! We hold various events and workshops that will help you learn more about the environment.
The environment is a part of human life which makes it our number one priority. It is the source of many natural resources and supports various biodiversity, but this is only a fraction of what the environment can do.
Start now and help protect the environment because small steps lead to big changes!
And don’t forget to share your events and activities by tagging RefashionMyTown on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook and the hashtag #WorldEnvironmentDay on social media to help spread the word about the environment!